SC - Period Chili

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 00:20:03 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/12/1999 9:00:45 PM Mountain Standard Time,
lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu writes:

<< 	Yup, I already know that capsicum peppers/chiles are New World.
 But where does paprika come from? >>

Paprika was brough into Hungary by the Turks (who got it through trade with
Spain) some time after they invaded in 1527.  The general consensus is that it
did not become common in cooking until after period.

For Hungarian recipies that use paprika I would recommend _The Cuisine of
Hungary_ by George Lang.

Otherwise I would be more than happy to give some of that paprika a good home.
:->

Noemi
the Paprikacrat
Outlands