SC - Period Scottish Source?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Jan 11 14:22:54 PST 1999

>A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams
>The National Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7;
>Posted by Paul Macgregor
>> >
>This book _is_ available from Amazon, BTW. I ordered a copy, but >there
wasn't much information available about it. We will see, eh?

>Adamantius

Please do let me know.  When we were in Scotland, two of our party stayed
at a reconstructed castle.  It was a small one, and it had been bought as
a pile of rubble destined for the wrecking ball.  Peter Gillies is the
man who bought it and reconstructed it, and he and his partner now run it
as a B&B.  He gave us the grand tour, and was thrilled with folks who
were interested in the trials of period re-construction.  (My favorite
example was of him hiding Georgian-era plasters under piles of rubble so
the Scottish Trust wouldn't see them.  If they had, they would have made
him preserve them, when he wanted to restore the building to it's
original 1585 glory.  They did a FANTASTIC job of restoring everything,
including a heraldic ceiling, but I digress....)  He has a chef who comes
in to do weddings and other large dinners, and he was interested in
finding sources of period Scottish recipies.  We talked for a while, and
he asked me to send him any information I could find.   I said that it
felt kind of like sending 'Coals to Newcastle', but that I would do what
I could.  So, this book sounds like just the thing.  Please give us a
review when you get it, would you?
Thanks,
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain (who has selfish reasons for
wanting period Scottish recipies as well :)

P.S. For those of you who might be interested, the name of the place is
Ballencrieff Castle, and the web site for it is -
www.scotland-info.co.uk/ballencrieff.htm