SC - Hartshorn

Fri Jan 22 17:59:22 PST 1999

Ammonium carbonate (hartshorn) would be the leavening agent.
Hart's horn (as in deer horn) would be more likely in the production of
gelatin.
Except that this may be a six of one and a half dozen of the other type of
argument.

>From Waverly Root, FOOD;

"hartshorn, powdered deer antlers, the medieval precursor of baking powder,
which some German and Scandinavian cooks think they are still using, but the
modern version is a counterfeit, ammonium carbonate; for hart's-tongue, a
fern recommended as an aphrodisiac in 1542 in A Dyetary of Health by Andrew
Boorde, who had been a monk until he thought better of it..."

Bear