SC - Soup Kitchen at Estrella (and other wars)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 18:34:32 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/25/99 9:19:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu writes:

<< I generally feed 6 to 8 people in camp. I carry dishes for about
 ten, just in case. I tend to take in stragglers, those washed out of their
 camps (a common enough problem in An Tir, so I carry extra provisions
 just in case- extra oatmeal or rice goes a long way), and I almost always
 invite 2 or 3 people to have dinner as my guest on Saturday night- a habit
 that gives me opportunity to meet new friends and renew acquiantance with
 old ones.

Vivat! My friend, Phlip, and I also opened up our camp to feed people at last
Pennsic. Word was put out that at mealtime if you were hungry drop by.
Although we didn't really get a large number of people dropping by, we always
had ample just in case and distributed the leftovers among the 'youngins' that
were camped nearby.

It was an amazing thing how much food can be accumulated in the cook's tent!
We charged 10 bucks a head to those camped with us for fire wood and supplies
like lamp oil and propane and asked each person to donate whatever they liked
to the food supplies.  We were able to schedule 3 meals a day and eat very
well for the entire two weeks of Pennsic with an occasional store run for
fresh vegies and assorted things.

Am looking forward to  it again this year. :-)

Ras
.