SC - Ambiance:

Kathleen M Hogan kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Wed Jan 27 09:05:07 PST 1999

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:52:46 -0600 LYN M PARKINSON <allilyn at juno.com>
writes:
>One problem with the fat candles is that the entire surface does not
>burn.  The heat of the wick doesn't reach that far.  You get lots of
>light, gradually diminishing, until it burns itself a hole in the
>candle center, light hidden by the 'walls', and eventually drowns
>itself in melted wax.

One solution to this is commonly used in some parts of Europe (I thought
it was neat when I was stationed in Germany)...  Frequently, fancy,
carved candles are designed to be used for a long period of time without
losing the carving.  The thick outer candle is hollowed out and another
candle is placed inside.  When that one burns down, you simply replace it
with another candle and keep going.  I was given one of those "fat"
three-wick candles for christmas one year, and I just keep putting a
pillar candle down the hole and re-using it.  It still looks neat.

Caitlin nicFhionghuin
House Oak & Thistle