SC - "cabelho" fish recipe?

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Sat Jul 3 05:23:05 PDT 1999

Finally I get to some odds and ends. Someone wished to know the volume of
ground cinnamon, in relation to the discussion of scaling up recipes.
Commercial ground cinnamon runs about 4 (8-oz) cups to the pound;
coarse-ground closer to 3 cups. And as to Stefan's question about how to
grind cinnamon, you simply pound it up in a mortar or put it throrough a
grinder (one of those personal coffee grinders works fine -- break the
sticks up a little and toss them in). If you can, try to grind your own
cinnamon fresh -- you'll find that it has a lot more taste than those jars
of ground stuff that have been sitting on the shelf, losing flavour. And
Stefan, you're not "eating sawdust flavoured with cinnamon powder", as you
put it -- that sawdust IS the cinnamon powder. Why is tree bark worse than
roots or seeds or leaves, which is what the other spices are?

Francesco Sirene