SC - Introduction

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Sun Jul 4 12:00:50 PDT 1999

>>I can suggest the most common recipe to prepare "gravad lax", a Swedish
speciality. Cut the salmon in thin pieces and leave overnight in a
marinade composed of sugar, dill, blackpepper and salt. Easy, wonderful
tasty and not salty at all!
Ana L. Valdés>>

The recipe I've been using for the last 2 years takes a little longer.  I've
had great success with it, even took it to Pennsic last year, where it went
over very well.  It freezes very nicely although it never gets very hard.

Margherita the Weaver

GRAVLAX

2 salmon filets – about 1 lb. Each		bunch fresh dill
1/4 cup kosher salt						1/4 cup brown
sugar
2 T cracked peppercorns

Place one filet skin-side down in a deep glass, enamel or stainless steel
baking dish or loaf pan.  Spread the dill over the filet.  Combine sugar,
salt & pepper and spread over the dill.  Place the second filet skin side up
on top.  Cover with plastic wrap & aluminum foil.  Cover with weights (Canned
goods work well.)  Refrigerate for 3 days, turning and basting with
accumulated juices every 12 hours.  Scrape off the dill mixture.  Slice each
half, skin-side down, very thin.  Serve with black bread, spring onions and
honey mustard.

P.S.  You'll never guess where I found the recipe.