SC - salmon recipe?

Weaver8002@aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 11:41:03 PDT 1999

Greetings to all with extra fish!

It's very common here in Oertha (Alaska) to end up with way too much
salmon.  We generally cut up our extra, non-fatty salmon (reds, pinks,
silvers) and soak them in brine overnight (see below).  As for King
salmon, Kylson and I usually cut into steaks and put on the grill.  It
tends to have a high fat content, and that causes smoked anything to
turn rancid quickly.  We've got a couple of small portable smokers that
we use to smoke the fish for about 10-12 hours, or until the flesh is
firm and shiny.   I'd imagine that for jerky, you'd want to leave it in
the smokers for a bit longer though.  We add new wood chips to the
burners every two to three hours, and change the order of the racks
every four to six hours.  It stores for a couple months in ziplocs in
the fridge.

Brine #1: 1/2 c salt, 1/2 c br sugar per quart of water.  Season w/
pepper, garlic powder, maple flavoring
Brine #1: 2 c salt, 1 c br sugar, 2 Tbsp white pepper, 1 Tbsp each
crushed bay leaf, allspice, cloves and mace. (I've used this on
halibut.  yum!)  (Source: Cooking Alaskan, ed Editors and Friends of
Alaska Magazine)