SC - Vodka

Mahanna jmmahanna at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 4 15:25:25 PDT 1999

I know this is a really old thread, but I've been out of town for a couple
of weeks and I'm trying to catch up.
Christianna wrote:
>Then, they drop a tidbit that really caught my attention.  It says "It
>was in Switzerland that the first cookbook written by a woman was
>published in 1598.  It contained the first known recipe for rosti and
>today you will find it on most breakfast menus, ..." !

To which Bear replied:
>Anna Weckerin.  There is a translation by Regina and John Bendix, but I
>don't think it has been published yet.  There is a copy of the cookbook in
>the Aresty Collection of the Van Pelt Library at the University of
>Pennsylvania.

When I read the part on the Aresty Collection web page about the
translation ("To Regina and John Bendix I am grateful for the translation
of Anna Weckerin's cookbook") I e-mailed the curator of the collection to
see where I might be able to get a copy. She said that the translation
isn't of the cookbook, but only of a small part (the introduction, I
think).

I'm currently starting to transcribe the German text for Thomas Gloning's
web page so I flipped through it looking for the rosti recipe. Couldn't
find it. The version I'm working with is a facsimile reprint published in
1977 by the Heimeran Verlag in Munich, ISBN 3 8063 1113 7. There's a
commentary by Julius Arndt and he also fails to mention any potato recipes,
although that would be significant enough to warrant a mention. Could there
be another 1598 cookbook written by a woman in German? I'm still trying to
track down the elusive Rosti.

Valoise