SC - Bread for a wedding feast...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 4 18:21:54 PDT 1999

Ras declared:
> Anyway, I've rambled enough. Sorry but I saw this post as I was sitting here
> listening to the fire works that symbolize our supposed 'freedoms' when I saw
> the post about the hot tub scene and recalled that my CA collection will
> never be complete because of some ridiculous decision by people who think
> they have the right to do what the constitution expressly forbids. <sigh.
> Perhaps the Revolution was not as complete as we would like to believe ;-(

There are actually a number of reasons that this issue ran into trouble
including that much of it was post period, a number of inaccuracies and
yes, interpretations of the US postal codes on pornography. Whether you
disagree or not, they are still the rules we have to abide by in mailing
a journal such as the Compleat Anachronist. Frankly from what I've heard
and from what I saw in a quick look through a copy of CA #13, it is not
a volume worth fighting over.

For those who would like to hear more about the controversy and why
certain decisions were made, or at least the explanations given now
from both sides, take a look at this file in the SCA-STORIES section
of my Florilegium:
CA13-msg          (36K)  2/ 3/97    The story behind the infamous CA 13. (the
                                      one on period pornography).

Yes, there is more in the Florilegium than just cooking stuff. :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****