SC - Turkish Breakfast - Suggestions Anyone?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 18:20:02 PDT 1999

mbrunzie at dba-sw.com writes:

<< Sausages are made from pig, which are strictly _haram_ >>

IIRC, there are recipes for lamb mutton and chicken sausages in al-Andalusia
and al-Baghdadi. Here is the redaction I used at my recent medieval middle
eastern feast.

Dish of Chicken or Whatever Meat You Please

If it is tender, take the flesh of the breast of the hen or partridge or the
flesh of the thighs and grind it up very vigorously, and remove the tendons
and grind with the meat almonds, walnuts, and pinenuts until completely
mixed, throw in pepper, caraway, cinnamon, lavender, in the required
quantity, a little honey and eggs, beat all together until it becomes one
substance, then make with this what looks like an 'usba' made of lamb innards
and put it in a lamb skin or sheep skin and put it on a heated skewer and
cook slowly over a fire of hot coals until it is browned, then remove it and
eat it, if you wish with murri and if you wish with mustard, if God so
wills.- from 'An Andalusian Cookbook; A Collection of Medieval and
Renaissance Cookbooks, Vol. II; pg. A-35. Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow.
Redaction by al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Rashid al-Zib, AoA, OSyc
Copyright c 1999 L. J. Spencer, Jr. Williamsport, PA

2 LB Boneless chicken breast or thighs
2 1/2 oz. Almonds
2 1/2 oz. Walnuts
2 T. Pinenuts
1 tsp. Caraway seed, ground
1/2 tsp. Black pepper, ground
1/2 tsp. Lavender, dried and crushed
2 T Honey
2 Eggs
Sausage casings (see Note*)
Skewers

Grind chicken on coarse. Mix almonds, walnuts, pinenuts, caraway, pepper,
lavender, honey and eggs into chicken. Grind again with medium blade. Then
force into sausage casings tying off into links.
Grill on skewers over charcoal until browned and cooked through. Serve with
murri or mustard. Serves 8.
(NOTE: The original clearly was enclosed in a bag of skin and roasted whole.
I chose to use sausage casing to gain better portion control and because it
was readily available. There are examples of sausages in the original
manuscripts.)