SC - Hummus

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Mon Jul 5 10:52:59 PDT 1999

The problem is, if you are not a scholar, its very difficult to
backtrace the dishes to their origins. I found also recipes of humus in
classical lebanese cookbooks and in spanish-jews collections, but I am
afraid the most of these are Spanish translations from sefaradi (the Old
Spanhish spoken today only by Jews Communities expelled from Spain at
the 15th century) and from Arabic sources.
In 1992 started in Spain several projects with Spanish, Jews and Arabic
scholar, trying to "reconstruct" the cultural melting pot in Spain
during more than 800 years. Several books edited under the project are
quite new and I don´t know if they are translated to other languages.
I en bok av L. Benavides Barajas, called "Kindoms of Taifa, Nord Africa,
Jews, Mores and Mudejares" I find a recipe to humus taken from Yemen,
but widespread in the whole area. In this recipe they used chickpeas and
sesame seeds.
He quotates "Kitab al Tabib fi-Magabrid wasal-Andalus" and "Ibn Razin
al-Tujibi", by Fadhalar Al-Hiwan. But I don´t read Arabic, thats because
I am imposed to trust the Spanish translations.
Greetings
Ana L. Valdés

Philip & Susan Troy skrev:

> "ana l. valdes" wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to disagree with you. My sources are "Classic Turkish Cooking", by
> > Ghillie Basan and "Classical Turkish Cooking", by Ayla Algar. They have
> > recipes for hummus and other chickpeas dishes, as manti and leblebi.
> > Grretings
> > Ana L. Valdés
>
> I believe the point was that there seems to be no proof these dishes
> existed prior to the seventeenth century, the "period" the SCA
> concentrates on. There's no denying that hummus is a classic dish, but
> then I had a classic dish yesterday (real Buffalo chicken wings)
> documented as having been invented 20 years ago. We know when, where,
> and by whom. We don't seem to know that about hummus, except it doesn't
> seem to appear in any documents dating from the time period we're
> discussing. At least, we haven't found any references to it in any of
> the several Arabic (both Middle Eastern, North African, and Andalusian)
> texts available from the pre-17th centuries.
>
> Now, it's possible Ghillie Basan and Ayla Algar did find recipes for
> hummus in medieval sources, but it's a bit of a surprise, if they did,
> since many of us have been looking for years. By any chance is there any
> bibliographical information on where to find such documents, or do they
> simply say something like, "this is an old classic dish"?
>
> By the way, we have run across a couple of chick-pea puree dishes, just
> not one made with sesame paste, etc., as hummus tends to be made today,
> and the name "hummus" isn't used.
>
> I hope this helps clear things up a bit.
>
> Adamantius
> --
> Phil & Susan Troy
>
> troy at asan.com