SC - Hummus and Other Questionably Period Foods

Weaver8002@aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 11:02:17 PDT 1999

Sorry about my missunderstanding. When I submited these recipes from
these books, I didn´t know how old or how "period" the recipes were. As
I said before, if you are not a sholar comparing manuscripts and corpus
its very difficult to judge their accuracy.
When I bought these books with the titles "Classic" on it, I hoped for a
kind of historical approach.
But I am going to try to find sources and books to submit to you.
Ana L. Valdés

LrdRas at aol.com skrev:

> In a message dated 7/5/99 5:19:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, agora at algonet.se
> writes:
>
> << Sorry to disagree with you. My sources are "Classic Turkish Cooking," by
>  Ghillie Basan and "Classical Turkish Cooking," by Ayla Algar. They have
>  recipes for hummus and other chickpeas dishes, as manti and leblebi.
>  Greetings
>  Ana L. Valdés  >>
>
> Who are you disagreeing with? Both these books are wonderful but classical
> cooking is not period cooking. The corpus of translated medieval Middle
> Eastern recipes does not contain anything even remotely like hummus anywhere.
>
> My 'Classical French' cookbook contains  a recipe for Vanilla Cream which is
> not period at all. :-) The word classical does not denote a historical style
> of cooking. It denotes a formal style of cooking.
>
> His Grace has done extensive research into this area and will most likely
> agree with me regarding the hummus issue. If you have documented PERIOD
> sources that prove me wrong, I would be happy to add them to my collection. I
> would love to be able to add hummus to my period recipe database.
>
> Ras

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster
http://www.algonet.se/~agora/ada Nättidning för kvinnor och män med