SC - FYI: German cookbooks: Rumpolt 1581 & Wecker 1598

Weaver8002@aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 16:48:09 PDT 1999

At 2:38 PM -0400 7/5/99, Michelle \"TJ\" Brunzie wrote:

>Like bananas - I'm sure
>bananas have come up already - which I was wondering about because I have
>this
>book (which isn't *that* historical) which asserts that bananas were
>introduced to Europe by Muslims.

Could be.

Taciunem Sanitatas, which is a 14th c. latin book based on an Arabic
original, has a picture of bananas by someone who has clearly never seen
one, and says they are grown in Sicily. Sicily had been Muslim, was
conquered by by Normans in, I think, the 12th c., but may still have been
to some degree culturally Muslim later.

Also, there was a recent story about a 16th c. banana peel someone found in
England.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/