SC - Camel

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 18:46:16 PDT 1999

Steve Hughes wrote:

> Miranda Green also mentions the  presence
> of chicken bones in Celtic garbage heaps and that the chicken came from
> India. My thought was it was a hell of a long way for a chicken to walk
> to be gassed and kept warm by a cow dung fire. So should you be planning
> a Celtic Feast, chicken can be served!

What makes you think the chicken did the walking, rather than the Celts?
As regards the Celtic feast concept, the problem with such a claim is
that sounds a bit like someone saying, "If you're planning an
Indo-European feast, you can serve haggis and pissaladiere at the same
time!" Celts are a diverse group of nations with great cultural and
social diversity, and it's hard to ascribe some of the dietary habits
of, say, Scots Highlanders, to, say, the Bretons.

Specifically about chickens: Caesar did write that chickens were not
eaten by the particular Gauls he dealt with in the Gallic uprisings in,
what, roughly 60 B.C.E.? He may have been wrong, or he may have been
simply speaking of a very specific group or caste. On the other hand, he
also said that chickens were kept, just not eaten by the group in
question. This is a tough call to make, but the possibility also exists
that Ms. Green is no more (nor no less) qualified to judge the
significance of chicken bones in a midden than Caesar was.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com