SC - Re: "cruel food"- long response.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Jul 6 15:36:25 PDT 1999

> Horses are slaughtered for food far more frequently in the US than most
> people realize. If you've ever eaten at a fast food restaurant, you've
> likely eaten horse meat- that was the real idea behind Wendy's "Where's
> the BEEF" promotion a few years back. This makes sense because there are a
> lot of older or injured horses out there that need to be dealt with. I'd
> rather see them eaten than simply left to suffer and pushed into a hole in
> the ground when they die. Older horses are preferred because their meat is
> darker, appearing more like beef.
I would rather not see them eaten.  My experience has been that many
horses are slaughtered for dog meat, not human food.  One of the reasons it
has become expensive to get retired working horses has been that you have
to out bid the nackers.  (e.g 1500# mare at 60 cents / pound = $900)

Arglwydd Aeddan ap Trahaearn
Shire of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra