SC - Re: "cruel food"- long response.

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Jul 6 16:49:00 PDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> >> I'm personally on the hunt for a South Western restaurant in New England that
> >> actually does Chicken Enchiladas Verde well - if at all!
> >I can't help you there, but you are welcome to my recipe if you like
> >(though it is likely heretical, it is really good and I never have
> >leftovers).
> Yes please!  :-)

Ok- twist me arm...

Heretical Chicken Enchiladas-

a couple of chicken breasts
6-8 tortillas
some salsa verde (I used canned- gasp!)
1 med. onion
1 red bell pepper
2 or 3 roma tomatoes
4 or 5 tomatilloes (depending on size)
3 or 4 jalepeno peppers
minced garlic (about 2 tsp from kind in jar)
lime juice
optional cheese
Very necessary Sour Cream!

Mince the onion, garlic, red pepper, and jalepenos, and saute in skillet
until they're limp and the onion is transparent and golden on the edges.
Dice the tomatoes and tomatilloes and put them in with onion mixture, heat
through. Set them aside in another dish. Cut up the chicken in small
bite-sized pieces, saute it in the same skillet (it picks up that yummy
stuff left behind by the peppers! When it is done, combine with the
vegetables, add 1-2 T. of lime juice and mix well.

Now, pour out green sauce onto plate, coat your tortillas on both sides,
one at a time. Plop the tortilla down into a greased 13x9 pan, put filling
in (1-1 1/2 c? Enough.) and roll it up, tucking in ends. You should be
able to fill 6 to 8 tortillas, depending on how full they are. They should
fill the pan up. Dump any remaining sauce over, and if your want cheese,
spread it on top. Heat in the oven for, oh, 20-30 min at about 400 deg.,
until cheese is browning a little, and edges of tortillas also.

Serve with sour cream, lime juice, cokes or Dos Equis.

Even my kids love them, and they don't like hot food!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731