SC - Cheesy question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 11 21:59:22 PDT 1999

Violente de San Sebastiano de la Frontera asked last Tuesday,
> Alright, period cooking scholars: what kinds of cheese are period?
> Being as I'm rather in love with this particular food item, it's a
> question of singular importance!

This question has come up several times before. Unfortunately, it
is not an easy one to answer, although it may be easier to rule out
some cheeses than to say which ones were period. While the name may
still be the same, the cheese itself may have changed over the years.

However, for some of the previous discussion on this issue and some
good lists of those cheese that may be period, check this file in the
FOOD section of the Florilegium:
cheese-msg        (87K)  5/ 5/99    Medieval cheese. Recipes.

Stefan
  (who is catching up after having been gone to the Ansteorra 20th
      Year Celebration)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: