SC - Tahini/Sesame Butter

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 17:24:09 PDT 1999

Ana skrev:

>One of them its written by Michele Savonarola, the italian humanist and
doctor and the title is "Libreto de tutte le cosse che si magnano;
un`opera di dietetica del sec XV". Its edited by the university in
Stockholm and curated and edited by a scholar named Jane Nystedt. He was
the oncle of Girolamo Savonarola, the famous priest. This work is a
complete treaty about vegetables, meat and fishes and I found this book
really fascinating.<

>From the title, which translates into " Booklet of All the (Cosse?) Why So
Unlocked : an Organization of Dietary Habits of the 15th century." I suspect
that cosse  means shell in the sense of structure, although I'm not familiar
with the idiom. This would be a secondary source, since the author is
referring to the 15th century, and may well be a dissertation borrowing
heavily from Platina. Do you have the publication date of the source, and
any pertinent notes from the introduction or forword? If you prefer, send
them in the original language, and I'll muddle on through. Scanning might
save you some typing, but if you scan, please use gif or jpeg format, and
send it to me, not the List.

>The other one is a Spanish manuscript from 1593, written by Rodrigo de
Zayas, and discovered by a bookseller in London 1938.
I have the French version, "Mes Secrets à Florence au temps des Médicis
1593", annotated by Stefano Francesco di Romolo Rosselli.
Are they good enough to be trusted as "primary sources"?<

Unless the French version includes the original Spanish, I would consider it
most likely to be a secondary source. Most of us have seen translations
without the originals, which when proper research is done, turn out to be
"creative translations" rather than simple word for word translations-
Vehling's "Apicius" is a perfect example. This translates into "My secrets
(secret recipes?) from Florence during the Times of the Medicis in 1593",
again indicating that this is a scholarly work ABOUT that time period, not
FROM that time period.

If you'd like a couple of Primary sources to read and compare with, so you
know how I'm thinking, try to get either Hieatt and Butler's "Curye on
Inglysch" which is a plain transliteration of 14th century manuscripts, with
a glossary in the back to help with the more obscure terms, or Milham's
translation of Platina's "On Right Pleasure and Good Health" just published
in 1998. There are others, but I think these might be the easiest to get
your hands on.

Anybody else?

Hope this helps, my friend,

Phlip