SC - Horsemeat, was Re: "cruel food"-

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 20:50:40 PDT 1999

At 8:36 PM -0400 7/6/99, Alderton, Philippa wrote:
>Ana skrev:
>
>>One of them its written by Michele Savonarola, the italian humanist and
>doctor and the title is "Libreto de tutte le cosse che si magnano;
>un`opera di dietetica del sec XV". Its edited by the university in
>Stockholm and curated and edited by a scholar named Jane Nystedt. He was
>the oncle of Girolamo Savonarola, the famous priest. This work is a
>complete treaty about vegetables, meat and fishes and I found this book
>really fascinating.<
>
>>From the title, which translates into " Booklet of All the (Cosse?) Why So
>Unlocked : an Organization of Dietary Habits of the 15th century." I suspect
>that cosse  means shell in the sense of structure,

More probably "things"?

>although I'm not familiar
>with the idiom. This would be a secondary source, since the author is
>referring to the 15th century, and may well be a dissertation borrowing
>heavily from Platina.

The grandfather of the famous Savonarola was named Michele, was a famous
physician and lived in the 15th century. So it sounds as though this is a
primary source, and the title is provided by the modern  editor. I think it
would have to be a little earlier than Platina. I haven't heard of it
before, but it sounds interesting.

>>The other one is a Spanish manuscript from 1593, written by Rodrigo de
>Zayas, and discovered by a bookseller in London 1938.
>I have the French version, "Mes Secrets à Florence au temps des Médicis
>1593", annotated by Stefano Francesco di Romolo Rosselli.
>Are they good enough to be trusted as "primary sources"?<

It sounds like a French translation of a primary source. That certainly
makes it interesting, but it would be nice to have someone check it for
accuracy against the original.

Both of these are better sources for what was done pre-1600 than a modern
book on classical Turkish cooking, since they appear to be books actually
written before 1600 (or, in one case, a translation thereof).

Thanks for telling us about them. Now we just have to get someone to
translate one or both.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/