SC - Vegetarianism

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 20:47:52 PDT 1999

Steve Hughes wrote:

>  Thank you for your gentle reminder that the Celts were a various and
> geographically spread out group. I had hoped that my comment on the dung
> fires offered some wit and humor on the subject of dung fires. I am
> sorry you took my statement about the chicken walking to Ireland
> literally.

Hey, not me! I was joking too, vaguely along the lines of, "ask a silly
question etc."...

> They say the essence of Irish Humor is a misunderstanding. I
> would say this series of e-mails about Celtic Chickens demonstrates
> that. I am sorry if  you mistook my conclusions for Miranda Greens.

No chance of that...I was merely pointing out a dissenting viewpoint,
not criticising Ms Green or anyone else. One of the problems I
consistently see in the SCA is a tendency to read one book on a subject
and become an expert. (Again, this is a general comment, not aimed at
anyone in particular, least of all you, who simply stated the findings
of an author, just as you should have done.) In my own case it seems
like the more research I do, the less I actually know.

In re Irish humor, part of it is also a sort of contest to see who'll
crack first: responding to deadpan humor with more deadpan humor, and so
on. The loser is the one who admits first that they've been joking.
Probably something that doesn't translate well into a communications
medium lacking vocal tones, facial expression, and gestures. Ah, well.

In any case, I hope I haven't upset anyone unintentionally. Imagine if
I'd been trying! I must use this Power only for good! ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com