SC - horsemeat was "cruel food"- long response.

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 15:43:57 PDT 1999

Susan P Laing wrote:

> Looking ahead to Spring (okay - It's Brisbane, Australia so we don't really "do"
> winter here :-p) I'd like to plan a small garden of essential herbs for medieval
> cooking.
>
> It will be pot bound (cause I live in an apartment) and of limited space
> (smallish balcony)
>
> I'd like suggestions on what are the most useful/essential herbs to grow (I've
> already got Sage & Bay)
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Mari de Paxford

Dear Mari,
 I live in Temple, Texas, USA and we don't really have a winter here
either. I have grown herbs in containers for the past 25 years. This is
primarily because herbs tend to take over a garden if planted in the
ground. Containers keep them a usable size. Some books suggest planting
them in square  pottery drains  inserted in the ground to keep them from
spreading. Mints are especially difficult to get rid of once
established. Cinder blocks are another cheap alternative, but I have not
tried it because I think they would dry out to quickly..
 I suggest Rosemary and lavender which are drought resistant, but water
from the bottom. Both of these plants tend to develop a fungal disease
that kills them slowly which I think it is due to wet leaves not drying.
Once it sets in there is nothing you can do. Both of these are used as
food flavoring in period, I believe. Both should be protected from
freezing. Purchase plants, they are not easy to start from seed.
 Thyme is another useful herb: it likes slightly acid soil, better than
alkaline. I figured that out because I always had a hard time getting
the start I purchased of thyme to take off growing. Azalea fertilizer
helps.
   To help keep your herbs from drying out, put your pots in reservoirs
such as cheap dish pans. You can leave them for the weekend. I have
problems with mineral build up in pots because this is limestone
country. Using the resevoirs helps with this problem.
Pamela Hewitt, the Harper