SC - primary sources

Michelle "TJ" Brunzie mbrunzie at dba-sw.com
Fri Jul 9 06:43:41 PDT 1999

><< It is simply a mixture of milk and blood,
> thickened with flour and butter. You can find the recipe at:
>
> http://www.bahnhof.se/~chimbis/tocb/recipes/index-fr.htm

>What is the name of the recipe, Nanna?

It is not listed as a pudding or dessert, but under Various. The name is
Blóðkássa (villibráð). I haven´t had it for many years now, not since I
moved south, because you can´t buy calves blood (and anyway calves are
rarely slaughtered that young nowadays). But until a few years ago I could
still recall the taste very vividly. Now I only remember it is unlike
anything else I´ve ever tasted.

My mother says you can use lamb´s blood but it will not be as good. I´ve
been thinking of trying to make some this autumn, when I can buy blood in
the shops, and see what the outcome will be. But maybe the animal must be
very young; my mother stressed that the blood of an older calf can´t be
used.

This was definitely not eaten as a savory dish; it is not sweetened but when
it was served, heaps of cinnamon and sugar were added.

The kalvdans mentioned by Ana is well known to me also under the name
ábrystir, in fact I cooked some only a few days ago, and have a bottle of
first milk (colostrum) waiting in my freezer. I was going to ask the list if
anyone knew of a recipe (period or otherwise) that makes use of first milk
but I better wait with that until I return from my vacation in 10 days or
so.

Nanna