SC - Lemon Cordial -?-

Aislinn999@aol.com Aislinn999 at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 10:58:47 PDT 1999

At 1:41 AM -0400 7/11/99, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>And it came to pass on 9 Jul 99,, that THLRenata at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Does anyone out there know of a good, preferably period recipe for fresh
>> tuna?
>
>> Renata
>> Barony of Altavia
>> Kingdom of Caid
>> Los Angeles, CA
>
>Tuna recipes.... tuna recipes... yup.  I have some... all untested, I'm
>afraid.
>
>TOÑINA EN PARRILLAS -- Tuna on the Grill
>Source: Libro de Guisados (Spanish, 1529)
>Translation: mine
>
>Take from the tuna from the forward part of the belly, well cleaned; and
>anoint it with oil, and also anoint the grill and set it to roast over a few
>coals; and anoint them little by little with oil and afterwards make your
>sauce with water and salt and oil, and orange juice ...

This raises two questions:

1. By 1529, I'm pretty sure the sweet orange had gotten to the Iberian
peninsula. Do the recipes make any distinction between the old sour orange
and the more recent sweet orange?

2. When are you planning to publish and/or web your translation of the
Libro de Guisados so that the rest of us can get our hands on it? If you
don't want to publish it, I will be happy to include it in my collection.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/