SC - RE: Ansteorra turned 20, Bear turned 21 again, and has cheese bread

Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis pndarvis at execpc.com
Tue Jul 13 14:12:46 PDT 1999

- ------=_NextPart_000_1efa7942_b7dc706$7cd55077

This was forwarded to me by a dear man, and is reposted here with permission
of the original author.  At Lillies War, someone made and used a beehive
type bread oven, here's the story.

Bonne

From: Potters at onelist.com
To: Potters at onelist.com
Subject: [Potters] Digest Number 13
Date: 13 Jul 1999 10:32:03 -0000

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:10:10 CDT
   From: "Eagle Claw" <badhare at hotmail.com>
Subject: Bread Ovens Essay

Okay, people have asked for this so here it is.  My essay on bread ovens and
Lilies "mud".

The original research that Master Mikhail and I found on bread ovens is that
they were typically single chamber ovens.  Double chamber ovens were used,
but mostly for industrial pursuits rather than for food preparation. With
this in mind, we looked at a lot of pictures from illuminations and from
re-creationist groups that had already worked with ovens previously.  The
general concensus is that the most efficient shape is a round dome with a
small door in the side at the bottom of the dome and a hole in the "back" of
the oven towards the top for the flue.

Since Mikhail wasn't comfortable with relying on his skills as a brick
layer, he constructed a metal "skeleton" for the oven.  This was
transported to Lilies with a load of bricks.  (Talk about not  traveling
light!)  At the site, we cut away the sod where the oven would set.  Patio
bricks were placed for the floor of the oven and then the skeleton was
placed.  A trench was dug in front of the door and across the front of the
oven for embers.

Next, a skin of chicken wire was put on the metal skeleton (another
example of Mikhail's need to over engineer....).  We then laid small patio
type bricks against the outside of the structure, using mud/clay from the
lake shore.  (This particular batch of mud/clay came from the Period
Encampment area.  It had a lot of debris and sand in it, but had a good
amount of tackiness to it).  We mortared the bricks in with the mud/clay,
leaving a hole in the top near the back.  This hole would be plugged with a
brick during the baking phase, but left open during the firing phase.  To
finish the oven, we covered the entirety in mud (except for flue hole and
door). We let it dry for several hours.

Unfortunately, we couldn't let it dry all the way through before firing it
as rain threatened to fall and wash away our efforts.  So we put a small
fire in the oven to try to quicken the drying process.  The fire was
probably too big too soon and the mud/clay mixture cracked a lot.  We filled
in cracks as it fired and though it didn't look pretty, it became quite
functional for thermal mass.  It took about 2 hours to get the oven looking
dry.  We went ahead and pulled out the fire and embers (fire into the
cooking pit nearby and embers into the trench in front of the oven door),
and decided to try baking some bread.  The bread was put in on the floor (we
used some freezer  bread dough that had been thawed) and plugged the flue
and the door (used pieces of limestone for the door).  It took about 20
minutes for the bread to bake through.

The bread, of course, had soot and such on the bottom crust, which would be
perfectly okay for period, but modern sensibilities made our dinner guests a
little concerned about it.  We determined that putting a piece of aluminum
foil down after pulling out the fire was a good way to maintain a clean
baking surface. {note, I recommended to her a brushy damp broom, such as the
one of cornhusks I've seen at Old Salem, NC, for cleaning out the soot. -
Bonne)

Over the course of the week, we found the mud/clay mortar cracking
periodically from the heating and cooling of the oven (we fired it once or
twice every day).  We kept a bucket of mud/clay available nearby to patch it
periodically.  This seemed to work fine.  We did put a tarp over the oven
during rainy weather to reduce the chances of the mud/clay loosening itself
from the bricks.

We determined that it took about an hour to get the oven up to
temperature (about 500 degrees Fahrenheit). Then by the time you pulled out
the fire/embers, loaded in the bread (this oven held about 8 loaves of bread
comfortably), and blocked the door and flue, the oven was about 350 degrees
Fahrenheit.  It took about 20 minutes to bake the bread.  We used the
freezer dough instead of making our own since this was an experiment this
year.  We tried loaves, half loaves and buns.  There didn't seem to be much
variation in timing between the different sizes of dough.  We also had
cinnamon rolls one morning!

Changes for next year include a smaller, multiple ovens.  We're also
planning on making clay ovens to transport to the site, rather than
making a brick form while there.  This will make the technology much more
portable. We're discussing the pros and cons of the double chamber versus
the single chamber ovens.  Also, I will be making my own dough on site to
add to the variety of available bread choices.

The tools that seemed to be the best for the firing and baking were a
long-handled scoopy type "spoon" for scraping out the embers, bbq tongs, and
a pair of heavy gloves (for removing the stones in front of the door when
it's time to take the bread out.

- -Vasilla

Vasilla Anastasiia Krasnaia
Barony of Mag Mor