SC - Florilegium

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 14:22:43 PDT 1999

>I am curious -- I was very, VERY lucky this year at our Friend of the
>Library book sale (where you can usually pick up a Britannica or World
>Book for a buck a book, if you can find all the boxes with all the
>volumes), to find a 1937 OED, 10 volumes, $10, can't beat that with a
>stick -- but what more is there in the later 2nd edition that is a few
>more volumes?  Is it more words, newer words, more text referents, all
>of the above?
>
>-- Harriet

We had a good portion of a 1930's encyclopedia in the house when I was
growing up.  When it comes to geography and sociology, the difference in
what is in such refernces then and now is amazing.  Being born post-civil
rights movement, I was shocked at some of the attitudes toward and
portrayals of non-europeans, and even of lower class europeans.  Old
encyclopedias are an entirely different sort of education than new ones.
Facts can change a lot, without changing a bit.

Bonne