SC - Icelandic Chicken {RECIPE}

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 23 08:53:47 PDT 1999

- --=====================_89834440==_.ALT

hi all from Anne-Marie
Rhiannon asks:
>A short while ago I posted asking if the recipe for pomegranate chicken I
>had found on this list was a redaction or an original recipe.  I know how
>things can get lost in the shuffle of a busy list, so I'll ask once again if
>anyone knows, and if it is a redaction, what the original source is.  I am
>trying to separate the info I save from this list into interesting but OOP,
>and period, documentable stuff.

There are two versions of pomegranite chicken I know of. One is from a middle
eastern source, the other is Italian (Libro della cocina. Translation and a
modern version in Barbara Santiches _Original Mediterranean Cuisine_). The
version I've reconstructed (which I believe is the one you have?) is the
middle
eastern. The only place I really cheated is by mixing a sauce of the
ingredients instead of doing them in the specified order. No particular reason
other than to meld the flavors better, and it doesnt actually say WHEN you're
supposed to add the pomegranite juice. Since I could find the pomegranite
molasses instead of pomegranite jucie, I omitted the additional sugar (the
molasses being plenty sweet) and added a bit of water (since the molasses was
so darn thick). The italian version has you combine the sauce ingredients,
except the spice which you add towards the end.

enjoy! all rights reserved, no publication without permission, etc etc etc.

Oh, and we've found lately that we've needed to add about twice the sugar. I
wonder if the molasses has changed?

- --AM

Pomegranite Chicken:
Another Tabahajiyya (A37) Cut the meat up small and fry with oil and salt, and
when it is brown, cook it until done with vinegar. Pound a handful of almonds
or walnuts and throw them on and boil a while. Take pomegranate juice and
dissolve in it a lump of sugar to get rid of its tartness, and sprinkle with
cinnamon.

Our Version:
6 chicken breasts, hacked to gobbets
1-2 T olive oil to sautee
1/2 tsp salt to sprinkle on breasts
1/2 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
2 T sugar
1/2 cup pomegranite molasses or syrup
1/2 cup white wine or cider vinegar
6 T pounded almonds

Chunk and salt the chicken, brown in oil 'til almost done. Meanwhile, make a
sauce of the water, sugar and pomegranite syrup. Boil to blend. When the
chicken is almost totally cooked, dump in the vinegar. Then add the sauce,
along with the almonds. Simmer till the sauce is thick, about five minutes
on a
hard boil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve on cous cous.
Serves 6.

- --=====================_89834440==_.ALT

hi all from Anne-Marie<br>
Rhiannon asks:<br>
>A short while ago I posted asking if the recipe for pomegranate
chicken I<br>
>had found on this list was a redaction or an original recipe.  I
know how<br>
>things can get lost in the shuffle of a busy list, so I'll ask once
again if<br>
>anyone knows, and if it is a redaction, what the original source
is.  I am<br>
>trying to separate the info I save from this list into interesting
but OOP,<br>
>and period, documentable stuff.<br>
There are two versions of pomegranite chicken I know of. One is from a
middle eastern source, the other is Italian (Libro della cocina.
Translation and a modern version in Barbara Santiches _Original
Mediterranean Cuisine_). The version I've reconstructed (which I believe
is the one you have?) is the middle eastern. The only place I really
cheated is by mixing a sauce of the ingredients instead of doing them in
the specified order. No particular reason other than to meld the flavors
better, and it doesnt actually say WHEN you're supposed to add the
pomegranite juice. Since I could find the pomegranite molasses instead of
pomegranite jucie, I omitted the additional sugar (the molasses being
plenty sweet) and added a bit of water (since the molasses was so darn
thick). The italian version has you combine the sauce ingredients, except
the spice which you add towards the end.<br>
enjoy! all rights reserved, no publication without permission, etc etc
etc. <br>
Oh, and we've found lately that we've needed to add about twice the
sugar. I wonder if the molasses has changed?<br>
- --AM<br>
<b>Pomegranite Chicken:<br>
</b><i>Another Tabahajiyya (A37) Cut the meat up small and fry with oil
and salt, and when it is brown, cook it until done with vinegar. Pound a
handful of almonds or walnuts and throw them on and boil a while. Take
pomegranate juice and dissolve in it a lump of sugar to get rid of its
tartness, and sprinkle with cinnamon</i>.<br>
Our Version:<br>
6 chicken breasts, hacked to gobbets<br>
1-2 T olive oil to sautee<br>
1/2 tsp salt to sprinkle on breasts<br>
1/2 cup water<br>
1 tsp cinnamon<br>
2 T sugar<br>
1/2 cup pomegranite molasses or syrup<br>
1/2 cup white wine or cider vinegar <br>
6 T pounded almonds<br>
Chunk and salt the chicken, brown in oil 'til almost done. Meanwhile,
make a sauce of the water, sugar and pomegranite syrup. Boil to blend.
When the chicken is almost totally cooked, dump in the vinegar. Then add
the sauce, along with the almonds. Simmer till the sauce is thick, about
five minutes on a hard boil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve on cous
cous. <br>
Serves 6.<br>