SC - Elinor Fettiplace's Jam Recipe

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 10:25:37 PDT 1999

> << Make a stiff dough by kneading together flour and water. >>
>
> Just my two cents...
> I just did 70+ of these silly things last week and my experience was that a
> dough made from four and butter and/or crisco works *much* better, kinda like
> a pasty sorta thing.
> Isabetta

I have expirienced the same thing with the recipe. We made it according to
the period recipe and then substituted a tastier pastry. But I came to the
conclusion that the period chicken was basically a travel food that needed
the stiff crust to transport well or that it became something like a clay
pot and wasn't meant to be eaten but simply a vessel for cooking the
chicken in. If you just break open the crust and serve the chicken without
it the chicken is very moist and tasty.

Just an observation.

Yers,

Gunthar