SC - medieval feast in Visby, Gotland

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Sun Jul 25 15:50:55 PDT 1999

Rhiannon and all,

	The feast I co-cratted was several years oag- '92 to be exact. We
called it "S'ei Piace e Lice" (What Pleases is Permitted) and modelled it
on this idea- that the Black Death was headed our way, so we locked
ourselves into a villa in the hills above Milan and hunkered down to eat
and drink and wait for the pestilence to pass. THIS WAS NOT MASQUE OF THE
RED DEATH! We were shooting more for a _Decameron_ sort of thing, in fact
we told everyone to show up with stories and songs to pass the time. No
contests. No court. just good company and good food (LOTS OF IT!) Everyone
made an attempt at clothes c.1348 and the menu was 14th c. We picked a
Queen for the Day who chose performers. There was singing and poetry and
storytelling, and of course, much silliness in the kitchen. We had a
steward at the door, and after the doors were 'locked', no one could
enter without significant bribes. It lasted from around noon to late at
night (we had to be out of the hall at midnight) and we all ate too much.
It was great fun and I'd do it again if I had someone else to be head
cook!

The only way I can think of pulling off a feast like that is to make it a
themed event and stick to it. If the majes show up, they should
participate too. We did a Tournament of the Lions (twice) and once the
royals showed up- they also played as though they were visiting Toulouse,
and it was VERY interesting how roles, etc. shifted. It works- but only if
everyone is playing the same game...

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731