SC - Real feasts?

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Mon Jul 26 00:57:49 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/25/99 10:49:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rhiannon at madcelt.com writes:

<<
 Has anyone out there done a real medieval feast? (As opposed to an SCA
 feast) I am looking to get together with a few other local SCA cooks while
 everyone else is at Pennsic, and look into the feasibility of producing an
 authentic medieval feast. >>

	Haven't done it, but would love to! Don't know if I'll have the time
during Pennsic, though, since Tourney of the Foxes is right after that and I
have several projects to work on still. But if ya'll make it to Foxes, please
look me up and chat! Or private email, too, of course......... :-)

>> Items for initial consideration will be cost,
 scheduling, etc., granted, but then I want to look into expanding on some of
 the finer aspects of food preparation, staff organization, gastronomic
 philosophy and of order of service in the middle ages, and try to see how we
 can utilize these things to bring about a truly medieval experience for not
 only the diners, but the kitchen staff as well.  I figure that the average
 event gives us about 36 hours to play with, so time over which to serve
 shouldn't be a real problem.  There is no date set for this, and we will be
 able to take our time with this, which brings into the realm of possibility
 doing long term projects like brewing and hard cheesemaking ourselves.  I
 would be interested to hear if this has been bandied about before, and any
 other comments would be welcome.  I know that there have been events in this
 kingdom (Meridies) before which have been food oriented, and that at our
 Performing Arts Symposium Lord Damon, who got his AOA for grilling, provided
 food thoughout the entire day, but we would really like to expand this into
 as authentic an experience as possible.>>>

	And yummy food it was, too! ;-) Not to mention a nice change of pace.
But it strikes me that it would be much easier to do something like this for
a private party, rather than an event--at least the first time. Aside from
the possible difficulties in finding a host group, I, at least, need *lots*
more experience on open-fire cooking before I'll be eager to try serving a
large number of folks. Plus, few sites that I'm familiar with around here
allow ground fires (although I'm aware that there are ways to avoid them, if
we can locate enough folks with the right equipment that want to play), or
would let us build an oven, if you were planning to use one. (Please! I
really want to play with one, but don't have any space to do so here.) But
largely, I just like the idea of starting small and working up to a feast at
an event--baby steps, as it were.......... ;-)

			Ldy Diana, throwing out roadblocks she *really* hopes
can be overcome!