SC - Fish soup/stew

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Mon Jul 26 08:08:34 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/26/99 1:00:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< I don't think the inquiry was meant as a put-down, but rather someone
 striving for more authenticity  >>

I realize this. I question the use of the term 'real medieval feasts'.
Certainly a big bash lasting for several days was done. We have records that
indicate this was so. However, smaller feasts are no less real. To give a
little more understanding to what I am trying to say, I would no more call a
modern Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner a real modern feast than I would call
a period coronation feast a real medieval feast.

Granted such feasts were done occasionally but they were no more typical of
period noble eating patterns than a 10,000 dollar a plate gala is typical of
modern feasts for the wealthy. Don't misunderstand me, I think it would be
great to attend or participate in a period celebratory feast and I agree that
such a feast would be the event itself. But these feasts were done for very
special occasions and not indicative of a typical medieval feast. They
certainly were not any more real.

Ras