SC - SCA cordials ......Rum?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Mon Jul 26 18:08:53 PDT 1999

Recently I had a brainstorm.  Instead of the vodka called for in my favorite
peach cordial recipe, I used dark rum, and added a stick of cinnamon to each
bottle.  Talk about layers of flavor!  The dark, smooth flavor of the rum,
then the sweet, fruity flavor of ripe peachs, all overlaid with a slight zing
of cinnamon.  Indescribable!

Because I know of only a few hyppocras recipes using wine actually from
Period sources, I consider "cordials" using distilled spirits as one of those
fun things done in the SCA that are not truly period.  Because of this I do
make cordials for use by my Household and friends, but not for competition.
For competition I always use a period source, or at least Sir Kenelm Digby
who is just post period.  I have found it disappointing that the judges
usually tell me it is difficult to judge my entries because they are
experienced in grading modern brews and cordials, but have no criteria for
period recipes.  In my last entry, for "color and appearance" the comment was
that it was "ugly, but probably acceptable for the period."  It was an
hyppocras and cream.  Red wine and cream.  What did they expect the color to
be?

Mordonna