SC - SCA cordials ......Rum?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 18:18:46 PDT 1999

Hello!

>Recently I had a brainstorm.  Instead of the vodka called for in my favorite
>peach cordial recipe, I used dark rum, and added a stick of cinnamon to each
>bottle.  Talk about layers of flavor!  The dark, smooth flavor of the rum,
>then the sweet, fruity flavor of ripe peachs, all overlaid with a slight zing
>of cinnamon.  Indescribable!

Rum is too late, but cordials are not.  Here's one from c. 1550 to 1625:

# 281  A CORDIALL WATER - c. 1550 to 1625
Take burrage & buglos flowers, as many as will [gap in MS] a still, & put
thereto as much sack & clare[t] as will wet them well.  & to every pinte of
[cordial] water, you must put 2 ounces of white sugar candie & one grayne
of ambergreece, finely beaten.  ye sugar candy must be put into ye glass
bottles & let ye water distill upon it very gently.
(From Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery, ed. by Karen Hess.)

There are some recipes out there.  Don't get discouraged.

<snip>
 In my last entry, for "color and appearance" the comment was
>that it was "ugly, but probably acceptable for the period."  It was an
>hyppocras and cream.  Red wine and cream.  What did they expect the color to
>be?
>
>Mordonna

Probably they expected it to be clear.  I did some red wine & cream
hippocras awhile back & it looked like $%^*^.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"