SC - SCA cordials ......Rum?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Mon Jul 26 19:18:14 PDT 1999

Ana wrote:
>The vegetables and roots used here in Scandinavia at that time (viking
>time) were Swedes or Swedes turnips. Selleri too.

But the celery was wild celery, rather different from the cultivated variety
we now know, much stronger in flavor and also more fibrous and tough - I´ve
seen some speculation that it wasn´t used as food at all, but perhaps only
as a flavoring and medicine herb. And swedes (rutabagas) certainly didn´t
exist in Viking times. Turnips were certainly grown, and parsnips, but
swedes came much later.

 And a lot of beer on
>the stew, a dark ale or stout. Carrots, leeks, dill, cabbage, peas,
>onions, black and white peppar, horseradish. You can also use butter or
>milk or heavy cream ti thicken it. You can use dark bread in crumbles
>too.

This is probably correct for the rest of Scandinavia but not for Iceland,
because so few vegetables will grow here. And we would have used whey rather
than ale for a fish soup.

I can´t actually offhand remember a reference in Norse literature or period
sources to the kind of soup Boudicca is looking for; a soup was a thin broth
rather than a hearthy stew.

Nanna