SC - cod and parrottongues

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue Jul 27 11:08:54 PDT 1999

The only "scribal" changes occurred in the last 1800's when the language was
"translated in a more modern form.  and a list of substitutions was add at
the bottom of each recipe to deal with the changing availability of the
ingredients called for in the original,  As the the recipes were recopied
each transcriber added their name and date to the back of the recipe.  Some
yeas ago my Aunt-in-law placed the oldest pages in acid free sleeves and I
am continuing to do so with the rest as I can afford this process. The
oldest recipe in the collection, is  one for a sausage like dish called
Scottish Huge the  original date on that one is 1367  it was recopied in
1407, 1424,1437,1452,1470, 1483,1495,1500,1510,1533ect.  The Sangsters have
always served in the scribal arts, from the earliest history of the family.
Nobel and minor royalty the family has through the years the funds to
persevere many things not just this book. The current book is in fairly good
pervervation having been wrapped in water proof "oil skin" untill it was
brought to this country in 1874, where it remained unopened. It was wrapped
unused by my mother-in-laws family untill it was shown to me in 1977 when I
married her son.  I now am now the keeper of this book and will pass it
along to my daughter

Lady Katherine McGuire

  Lady Katherine McGuire