SC - spikenard

Wed Jul 28 08:09:01 PDT 1999

hi all from Anne-Marie

John asks:
At 12:00 AM 7/28/99 -0400, Ann & Les Shelton wrote:
>Judging by the responses to the question about being too old for
>camping, there are a number of cooks on this list who are 40+ years old.
>Are there any youngsters out there?  I'm not sure how much cooking
>appeals to newer SCA members; it certainly would have a smaller niche
>than stick-jocking, garb making, and dancing.

<snip>
>If there are youngsters on the list, welcome and please stay involved!
>We'll need a new generation of spirited young cooks, since the current
>generation are getting old enough to be grandparents.

well, I just had my 35th birthday a few days ago (hippo birdy two me!
sorry, that's a family joke). Does that mean I'm a youngster? Funny, I'm
one of the oldest in the crowd I hang out with...which belays the idea that
"newer" people arent so much into cooking, at least 'round here. In fact,
we find that "older" members are more into the "perioide" stuff, while its
the newer people who want to do documented period stuff, and the
reconstruction research. Go figure!

Part of that MIGHT be that our Madrone Culinary GUild has been around since
rocks were soft, and the reconstruction stuff is relatively new in concept.
That means if you want to make an impact, the field of original period food
research is more open than the field of just making outstanding perioide
food. Hmmm. Just a theory...I'd be interested in seeing what other folks'
experiences are!

- --AM