SC - Book recommendation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 30 03:43:18 PDT 1999

Eleanor,

>I have been reading Scully's Medival Food, and would like to read more about
>the humors of food.  Does anybody have a favorite book they would recommend?
>Scully lists his sources, but none in English that I have seen yet.  I would
>like to be able to plan a menu, understanding the medievally logical
>progression of dishes.  Also, to understand which spices and food
>preparations would most complement a particular food.  Thanks in advance
>
>Eleanor d'Aubrecicourt

I was fascinated with Scully's book, particularly the realization that feasts
were not necessarily made up of odd and unusual dishes. I think the abundance
and variety was what made them impressive.

I'd be interested to share knowledge in this area since it appears we have the
same goals in mind. Right now the only resources I have which discuss food and
humors include an interesting book published for the sole intent of giving it to
tourists who were on a cruise. My apprentice gave it to me when she was getting
ready to move out of town. Called "The School of Salernum, Regimen Saitatis
Salerni" subtitled The English Version by Sir John Harington. It was published
by the a tourism board in Salerno Italy. It isn't even slightly a seriously
scholarly publication but it does claim to have been translated by Sir John
Harinton in 1607. It's in a form of rhymed verse and I'm not sure the entire
thing is translated. I know that only part of the original Latin is used. Still,
I have found it interesting. Here's a quote:

Although you may drinke often while you dine,
Yet after dinner touch not once the cup,
I know that some Physicions doe assigne
To take some liquor straight before they sup:
But whether this be meant by broth or wine,
A controversie 'tis not yeat tane up:
To close your stomack well, this order sutes,
Cheese after flesh, Nuts after fish or fruits,
Yet some have said, (beleeve them as you will)
One Nut doth good, two hurt, the third doth kill.

The original isn't dated and there's no leads on tracking down the original
document. This falls into the "interesting but tertiary source" material.

The other book I have is called "A Medieval Health Handbook" a book which has
plates from Taciunum Sanitatis. The color plates shown are fruits, vegetables,
and other foods and which humors they complement and which they do not. There
are other plates which show activities (like vomiting or sexual relations) with
the favorable and harmful humors. Both this book and the one above come from
Italy so I'm not sure how much of that information would have been used in the
rest of Europe. The plates of the Taciunum date from the late 14th, very early
15th c but I don't know when the text was written. Unfortunately, I can't place
my hands on my copy to give you publishing information - I think it's in a box
somewhere.

As for the connection of humors with menu preparation, I've only got the Scully
book which discusses it without going into a lot of detail. There are menus
aplenty in existence but I don't know if any of them have been examined in terms
of balancing the humors. I'd love to know if such a thing exists.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL