SC - Horsemeat, was Re: "cruel food"-

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 13:04:21 PDT 1999

- --- Varju at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/7/1999 12:39:51 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> nannar at isholf.is writes:
>
> << They are our trusted friends and companions, our pride and joy,
>  we write poems about them, some of us spend half our life on
> horseback. And
>  yes, we eat them. Maybe that is the Viking mentality ... >>
>
> It is very possible.  I think it is also related to environmental
> factors,
> like what is availible to eat in the region.

I have concluded that it is very largely cultural -- small children
really DO learn prejudice, of all sorts.  Anyone try recently to
explain to a seven-year-old, who just figured out where hamburgers come
from, why it may be gross to eat a horse or a dog or a cat, but it is
NOT gross to eat a cow or a sheep or a grown-up fuzzy chickie (in our
culture)?  What's the diff?  And the cute/fuzzy factor can't be all of
it -- baby anything is pretty cute, and any species you like has some
pretty ugly members.

Also -- if you didn't have to read it in high school english, check out
"A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift -- social satire at its best, and
at least as good a solution to the Irish Problem as some other crap
that circulated then. (No, babyskin gloves are NOT period!)

- -- Harriet