SC - seeking info on book

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jul 10 14:44:42 PDT 1999

Wajdi wrote:

> Good Gentles of the List,
>
> Can anyone give me any information on Food In History by Reay
> Hill. Published by Steinand Day,NY, 1973?  Would this be worth
> reading?
>
> wajdi

Do it up. It's an excellent reference, provides an excellent overview,
and is near-infinitely superior to the similarly-titled, extremely
Francocentric and often inaccurate "History of Food", by
Toussaint-Samat. The author's name, BTW, is Reay Tannahill, author of
"Sex in History", "Flesh and Blood", a history of cannibalism, and
something about the Black Plague, the title of which I forget.

If it's dated 1973, you may have the first edition of "Food in History".
The second edition is a little better for 90's-and-beyond usage (food
having had some history in the past few years, too), but the first
edition is certainly a good book. It's along similar lines to C. Anne
Wilson's "Food and Drink in Britain" (also an excellent resource), but
more general, geographically.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy