SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1492

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Sun Jul 18 17:55:24 PDT 1999

Ana wrote:
>No, I told the list I should attend a short course organized by the
>Maastricht Marshall Macluhan Institute, to discuss "Digitalizing the
>Cultural Heritage". The course was pinpointed to librarians, people
>working in museums and archives, plus some people working in the
>cultural beurocracy. I was myself a part of the cultural beurocracy,
>since I am on the board of the Swedish Council of Arts, who regulates
>and finances all the culture in Sweden.
This is a really hot topic in my field write now, I'm an archivist. And
while I'm definitely convinced that digitizing texts can be an excellent
way to increase access, be prepared to think in the long term. I'm sure
that they addressed this in the conference, but planning for these kinds of
projects has to include the funds to migrate images and text from time to
time as software and hardware moves on to new technology.

Archivists like to think in terms of keeping things available for decades
or centuries. In the world of information technology something five years
old is ancient and outmoded. I don't mean to imply that digitizing
historical resources isn't a good thing to do, but never plan on
transcribing or scanning something once and being done with it. Very deep
subject and the topic of much debate and discussion in archives around the
world.

Valoise