SC - Real feasts?

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sun Jul 25 11:48:15 PDT 1999

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 rhiannon at madcelt.com wrote:

> In my opinion, I do not think that the way our feasts are served within a
> short amount of time, with several dishes out at once, all to wrap up after
> court and before dancing, constitutes a period method of service.
<snip>

Point taken. But I think modern and practical considerations are at work
here. We are too pre-occuppied with:

	contests
	classes
	A&S displays
	Coronations
	meetings
	etc.,

only one of which is really period (and that usually only marginally) but
all of which fill up our event time. I don't know if I've ever been to a
feast that was just a feast, witht the exception of one I co-cratted years
ago. There is also the issue of site avilability, hours, the number of
folks who day-trip and want to be back in their cars by 11, and courts
that go on and on and on with little consideration for the populace or the
cooks. Until we stop thinking that every moment must be filled and that
every event must have X-number of activities, that's the way it will
remain.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731