SC - Bhuna Prawn and Puri

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sat Jun 12 05:17:31 PDT 1999

>Curry leaves? What are curry leaves? I thought curry powder was a
>blend of different seasonings and that it differed from region to
>region. So are there actually something called curry leaves?

Yes, but they have little to do with curry powder. The curry plant (Chalcas
koenigi) is very common in Southern India and Sri Lanka - and the leaves are
almost always used fresh. They are shiny and very fragrant and usualy picked
from a tree and put straight into the stew. They are very much used in
curries of all kinds, and other dishes also, especially fish and shellfish
dishes. The dried leaves are ground and used in some curry blends, but you
can also buy them whole (at least here). They lose quite a lot of flavor by
drying, though, but if you can find vaccum-dried leaves, they are much
better than other dried curry leaves.

I´m not sure why they are called curry leaves but it comes from  Hindi,
where they are called kari phulia or karipatta. Indonesian daun salam is
rather similar and can sometimes be used as a substitute.

Nanna