SC - Art/Sci results

John johnlfox at pnc.com.au
Wed Jun 16 03:36:56 PDT 1999

At 06:53 PM 6/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Sounds exactly like rendering tallow for candles -- which leads me to a
>question that has been floating in my head:
>
>What is the difference between tallow, and suet/lard?  I know tallow
>can be got from various beasts, but that the resulting candles will be
>more or less 'aromatic' depending on what animal the fat is from; but
>is this fat a different type from suet or lard, or is it only called
>tallow after rendering, or is it just that it's called something
>different depending on how it's used?
>
>-- Harriet

While you can use any kind of animal fat to make candles/soap/ other fat
derived products, only sheep fat is considered "tallow" by the modern
cooking world.

Tallow sculptures are a mix of rendered sheep/lamb lard, bees wax, and
parafin in equal measures.

The advantage of the sheep fat is that it doesn't go rancid.  The smell you
allude to is the fat going/gone bad. A properly made "tallow" will last for
years, and is cheaper than a straight wax candle of either variety.

Franz