SC - Help!! recipe needed for baked meringue shells using powder instead of eggs.

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 23 04:20:56 PDT 1999

Wendy wrote:

> I think I missed the post that this is a reply to.  Are pizelles period?  We
> make 'em all the time around here, but I never thought they were period.
> Caitlin ingen ui Dalaig

Wafers seem to have been widely eaten in period Europe, and pizelle
irons seem to be a pretty good way to recreate the shape and pattern of
a wafer. Pizelles tend to be made according to a somewhat different
recipe, with eggs usually separated, more sugar, etc., but they are
presumably a reasonably close descendant.

Gervase Markham's "The English Hus-Wife", c. 1615, gives a wafer recipe
that works quite well with a pizelle iron.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com