SC - Scaling up recipes?

margali Margal at 99main.com
Wed Jun 23 04:13:29 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> This page says "complete with cone roller" and shows a shallow wooden
> cone with a handle on it. Anyone know what this cone is for? To roll
> the fresh, soft pizelle around to get a cone? Since you are mashing
> the dough between two hot surfaces, I don't think it is for smoothing
> the wafer with. If it is to make a cone with, is their any evidence of
> this cone shape being used in period? I just remembered seeing "rolled".

The Larousse (that's Larousse, not Li Rous ;  )  ) Gastronomique speaks
of the habit of rolling wafers into both tubes and cornucopia while hot,
becoming brittle as they cool, and says the practice is quite old. We
know, of course, well, Larousse has been known to have a Francocentric
view of both world history and food history (as does Toussaint-Hamat, if
I've got the name right) so the occasional error shows up which is as
wide in dissemination as it is in inaccuracy. Or maybe the other way
around; I haven't had my tea yet, leemee alone. It has some alleged
facts in it which are, well, alleged.

But yes, they do seem to at least imply that rolling wafers into cones
was not unheard of in period. The main problem is that the recipes and
other information we have suggests wafers weren't always crispy enough
to make holding a formed shape likely. I wonder if a cone might have
been wrapped around cheese?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy