SC - Midsummer feast

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Tue Jun 22 05:07:37 PDT 1999

Folks,

A number of you asked for the menu/recipes/update on the midsummer feast I'm
doing on Saturday.

I have to say I'm getting quite apprehensive, but I'm sure we'll get through
it okay! We've made 6 liters of different sorbets, lemon, elderflower etc;
we've  made homebrewed gingerbeer ( it's fizzing nicely )  and elderflower
cordial, and the nettle soup is picked, prepared and pre-frozen, both
lactose and lactose-free varients! Some of the candy and chocolates are
done, but my mother found the chocolate stash, and it is severly decreased
in quantity now, so I think I may be making a little more just beforehand :)
. The panforte and nougat gets completed tommorrow and the soteltie gets
baked tommorrow, although it gets completed/decorated/sugarcrafted on the
day.

I've put the bulk of the information up at
http://www.tirlan.com/cooking/events/midsummer.html - it's not neat and tidy
yet, it's just the raw data , and I need to add bibliographies and such. I
guess most of that will be done after the meal, and I'm hoping to arm a
stooge with the digital camera , so you get photographic evidence as it goes
along .

Did I mention that we've added a twist to the meal? To get a variety of
different drinks and tastes, we've assigned each person/couple to a course
and asked them to provide a suitable drink to accompany it , about a
shotglass/thimblefull   per person. The idea is that we get the taste and
flavour, but it doesn't break the bank - you only need to bring one bottle
of wine (or equivalent) to serve everyone.

cheers,

Karin