SC - Ian - OT

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Mar 2 17:54:34 PST 1999

- ---Gryphon's Moon <margritt at mindspring.com> wrote:

> >Hello!  I was in the Treasury room of York Minster cathedral a few
days
> >ago.  They had many covered goblets on display that had been
donated to the
> >church by various parishoners.  The covers were made of silver or
pewter &
> >were 'platens', or small plates. They did not seem to be attached
in any
> >way. The odd thing was how plain most of the goblets & covers were.
 Except
> >for perhaps an engraved dedication, many were completely
un-ornamented.

> >HTH,
> >

> >Cindy

Cindy,

The "small plates" that cover the "goblets" are not called "platens",
but "patens" and the "goblets" are
more properly called "chalices".  These are used for
serving communion and not for secular use.

The chalice is placed on the altar and covered by
a "purificator", which is a small square of cloth
later used to wipe the rim of the chalice after
each use.  The paten is placed on top of the purificator and is later
used to distribute the
host or the communion wafers, which are kept in the "ciborium", which
looks just like the chalice, but
has a metal lid on it.  Over the paten, is placed a small square
stiffened cloth.  Over all this is placed the "pall", which is a large
square of emboidered fine cloth, which is placed in such a way that
every inch of the hem touchs the altar at the same time.  If done
correctly, it should look like this:
   __
  /  \ from the front

and this:

_________
  |   |
__|___|__ from on top (well, sort of, given the

limitations of my computer)

On top of all this, goes the "burse", which is a finely
embroidered, stiffened pocket, which holds the post-
communion veil.

Communion wafers can also be kept in a small metal
box, called a "pix".  The communion wine is kept in
a flagon, before being poured into the chalice.

This is as per the Catholic, Lutheran and Episcopalian practices.  I
am not familiar with what other denominations use.

Huette
(a good Lutheran, who is co-chairman of the Altar
Guild at her church.)