SC - Pig Maws

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Wed Mar 3 06:41:17 PST 1999

Ian van Tets wrote:

> - Add as much sugar as almonds.  Will check and get back to you.

This is a fairly standard proportion found in later recipes in sources
like Sir Hugh Plat's Delightes for Ladies. While that alone doesn't
prove the proportion is the same in this case, the language certainly
seems to point that way.

> >Nym der oblat
>
> Nym is take, not make.  Is there a mould involved?  It sounds as
> though this may be the case.
>
> >an die leg auff ein Papir.
>
> Lay a paper on the oblat (another word I'll check when I get home) -
> sounds as though you're rolling out on rice paper or similar?

Yes, it sounds like a papery liner to keep the stuff from sticking to a
board or pan. An obley is a wafer of sorts, believed originally to be of
Greek origin, if Larousse is to be believed, and the mysterious Law of
Larousse Only Knowing What It's Talking About When Talking About French
Food may apply here. I believe I read somewhere that the standard
Catholic communion wafer (usually a paper-thin sheet of very soft pastry
flour and water, stamped out with designs) is pretty typical of the
obley genre, and this is consistent with a number of French and Italian
nougat recipes, which also include egg white, while much ordinary
medieval marzipan doesn't.

> >da mach du den marcipan
>
> make the marzipan
>
> >gross wilt machen:  so nym die oblat
>
> [as] large [as] you want to make it??
>
> >nez andertem
>
> >leg ein ander oblat daran
>
> >es hafft anein ander
>
> Are these Fs or Ss?  Although pretty and 'authentic' in feel, it
> makes it really hard to read when long S gets written as an F.  After
> all, we don't alter most other lettering.
>
> >sonst zu grossen marcipan ist ein oblat zu klein
>
> >nym dann ein inger fey hulzin oder eyfin
>
> Are the Fs here Ss too?  It would help me to know.
>
> >eins zweihen finger gross.
>
> Let me check the rest of this at home, but we should be able to 'nut'
> it out between us.  In the meantime, well done!

I'm inclined to think the oblats are a prepared product of a fairly
specific size and shape, and if you want to make marchpanes of a larger
size, you overlap them to the size you want. It almost reads as if you
stack them up and laternate layers, but I think overlapping them across
your work space makes more sense.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy