SC - Puck's marzipan

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Fri Mar 5 13:19:17 PST 1999

Hi,

With reference to your warming oven,

they are for keeping food hot only although they will reheat bread. Do not
assume they will reheat food as they do not have enough heat to raise the
foods temperature fast enough through the bacteria danger zone to ensure
minimal bacteria growth, rembering that although the heat may well kill the
bacteria in the end, some leave toxins that themselves will cause food
poisoning.

Food should be held for as little time as possible, mainly because it will
continue to cook a little and will thus spoil.

keep anything inside covered with foil, or baking paper, this will stop
liquids from skimming over.

Warming ovens are great for heating plates & bowls.

Deep fried things will go soggy, loosing their crispness.

On the bacteria front, warming ovens are designed to keep food above
63degrees C, at this point salmanella is not a problem.

Do not put your wonderfully cooked rare joint in to keep warm, it will be a
bugger to carve and will continue to cook.

Sliced meats if covered in gravy/sauce will keep but again the rare will
become well done in a very short time, Lamb suffers very much from being
held as it should never be more than medium.

Basically the idea of a warming oven is to allow you to assemble a meal and
then serve it all at once without the guests waiting for the veg to arrive
etc, if it is your oven and you know it well then you can get away with more
as you will know exactly how it treats food. A warming oven used properly is
a wonderful device and no kitchen should be without one.

Have a great evening and watch all marvel as the food arrives in volume at a
great rate of knots c/o the warming oven.

Dave Gavin