SC - A Recipe for Lent

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 18:53:22 PST 1999

Magistery is a term taken from alchemy.  It may describe the residue of a
percipitation, refer to a concentrated essence, or be a transmuting agent
like the philospher's stone.  The OED records the first recorded appearance
of magistery of pearl in 1602 in F. Hering's Anatomyes.  Magistery alone
appears as early as 1566.

Magistery of pearl might be considered to be all three, but the OED places
it as percipitate of dissolved pearl.  I believe the percipitate will be
calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2), but I'd recommend talking to someone who is a
little more current on chemistry.  The last time I worked out chemical
changes was 30 years ago.

For the benefit of anyone who wishes to work out the chemical reactions, the
pearl is mostly calcium carbonate (CaCO3).  The distilled vinegar is almost
pure acetic acid (CH3COOH).  Oil of tartar is a supersaturated solution of
potassium carbonate (K2CO3), probably dissolved in water (H2O).

I did not find any information about the uses for magistery of pearl.  I
suspect the use is as a medicine or a cosmetic.

I regret to say, I failed to check out cream of tartar while at the State
Library.

Bear